Tuesday, February 23, 2010

New Music (For me) 2/23/10

It's been a while, but here's some new music updates.



The xx: xx (2009)
- This is f-ing amazing. It is very rare that I come across a band that leaves me speechless. I don't even know how to compare this band to anything else I've heard. The mixture of male and female vocals reminds me of The Pixies, yet The xx is much smoother and far more dance-able (yes, it's a word). It's just simple, easygoing pop music... indie if you will. I couldn't accurately describe it myself, but it is well worth checking it out on your own.


Crowbar: S/T (1993)
- Only recently have I become aware of the genre, Sludge. A couple weekends ago I attended a Long Island metal/hardcore show, headlined by Negative Reaction, apparently a forefather of the genre. Combining elements of hardcore and metal, Sludge sounds like the heaviest hardcore breakdown slowed down to a third of it's proper pace and the volume cranked up to 11. The riffs themselves are reminiscent of Black Sabbath and the lyrics are appropriately dark. Crowbar itself is a group hailing from the New Orleans area and gives this music more of a southern twist. An amazing band and a great album. Make sure to be in the appropriate mood for this music, for it will knock you on your ass.


Another Sunny Day: London Weekend (1992)
- I'm not really sure what to say about this album. It was recommended via StyleForum's Music Club and sounds like a second rate version of The Smiths. If I want to listen to The Smiths, I'll listen to The Smiths. Period.

1 comment: