Monday, April 19, 2010

Augustus Pablo

For some reason, I've found myself in a bit of a slump. Perhaps it's the lingering bits of winter, the busy season at work, or wedding planning hitting it's brutal mid-point. Either way, it's been difficult feeling motivated to read new things, or to find music for my commute and lunch breaks. That is until I remembered one of my favorite artists/albums... King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown by Augustus Pablo.



Augustus Pablo is one of my all-time favorite Reggae artists. Not in a mod-ish form of reggae or ska, but the beginnings of the Dub movement which would be critical to the evolution of Jamaican music in the 70s and 80s. Taking a children's toy, the Melodica, Pablo was able to revolutionize the sound of Dub and give the music a strange, exotic quality. It's a great album to listen while riding the train, to zone out, and to just relax and let your mind wander. Maybe this is the distraction I need to get things back on track. Do yourself a favor and check out this fantastic musician.

No comments:

Post a Comment