Thursday, May 20, 2010

Book Review: American Psycho



It's been a while since my last book review. I've been reading in the mean time, but nothing I felt like blogging.

I have never been so thoroughly disturbed by a book. Coming from me, that's saying a lot. Still, the book was pretty good. The commentary on consumerist 80's culture was fantastic. A great satire on the vapid Wall Street culture. Also, I saw some parallels between this work and the existentialist work, The Stranger by Camus. If you only want to satisfy a need for gore and shock, that can be easily found. However, if you're willing to dig a little deeper, you may be surprised at what you find.

I had to take a step back and analyze parts of my own life while reading this book. Every item in this novel is listed by designer or brand. Patrick Bateman can not be wearing loafers, but A Testoni loafers. He does not place his cigar in an ashtray, but a crystal ashtray from Fortunoff. This had me reconsider how I view my own life and the objects that are important to me. I know my blog is very much clothing-based, and high-end clothing at that, but I would like to think that these items do not determine my identity. Clothing and style is important to a degree, but it's a look I would like to craft and a quality that I see in these items. Ironically, I don't own and wouldn't consider buying most of the items on this blog for the sheer fact that I have more important priorities. This is a hobby, not my life.

Either way, I'm considering taking a step back from the barrage of clothing related posts and perhaps mix-in a few more "lifestyle" pieces. Or, if it is a clothing post, it should be more than a listing of items, but more of an explanation as to why these things are important, in a way which I can use to better express myself.

Back to the book, I found it a very entertaining read. Two thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment