Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Levi's 501 Shrink-to-Fit

Last weekend, I furthered my experiments with raw denim by buying a pair of Levi's 501 Shrink-to-Fit. This could possibly be the cheapest pair of raw denim at an approximate cost of $35. With a classic high-waisted rise and a moderate taper, this is a far departure from the fit my New Standards. And so begins another denim project...



Here they are fresh out of the bag. 501 run rather large, so sized down 1 inch from my natural waste with a 33. Due to the shrinking process, the length is the most affected, so I chose a 36 with the hopes of ultimately attaining a 34 inch inseam.


They were soaked with steaming hot water for approximately an hour. Unfortunately, I don't have a proper plug for my tub. When I came back in an hour, the water had practically drained completely. I figure they had sat, sopping in water, for about an hour. It's close enough.


They took nearly an entire day to dry.









Here is the Pre-Soak fit.





...And the Post-Soak fit.












... And how I plan on wearing them.








Now I agree, the fit isn't terribly flattering. After the denim loses some of the stiffness, I hope it will look more relaxed. It may be hard to tell from the pics, but the crotch sits exactly where I would like, and the thighs fit alright. I chose the 501 STF based on their timeless quality and how quintessential they have become in American style. If these would good enough for my father, and his father, and his father... I might as well give them a shot. Check back for monthly updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment