Thursday, March 25, 2010

Summer Inspiration



Thanks to Sartorially Inclined for a shout-out the other day. He also announced the debut of LIFE Magazine's unreleased Steve McQueen photographs. Now, it seems as if everyone and their mother is looking toward McQueen as the style godfather. Not to jump on the bandwagon, but I found the photo below to be absolutely fantastic in terms of attitude, style, and ease. Everything is perfect; the slim taper of his chinos, his beat up white sneakers, sturdy watch, and his overall calm demeanor.

I remember the first time I became aware of Steve McQueen. Both my father and I are big fans of The Great Escape, a WWII POW movie where McQueen plays a leading role. The movie itself is riveting. During a particularly action packed scene, my father remarked how popular McQueen was in the 60s. It was during his famous motorcycle chase and my father mentioned that chinos and grey sweaters became the fashion statement the year of the movie's release. (Imagine that!) This was of little interest to my 11-year-old mind, but its funny how people remember things like this. I was more interested in the fact that McQueen performed his own stunts for the movie, especially that motorcycle chase. It was some time later until I saw Magnificent Seven and I am now watching The Thomas Crowne Affair, both of which will soon be added to my long list of favorite movies. So in this time of rabid McQueen fervor, I'm afraid I must again concede and agree that he was quite possibly one of the most stylish man in history.

It's been said before, but McQueen's style and grace is simply unparalleled.

No comments:

Post a Comment