Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Futile Resistance



One thing that I swore never to own years ago, I now find in my possession. The funny thing is… this happens so frequently, I don’t know why I resist so much in the first place. Similar statements have been made about Starbucks coffee, pink shirts, boat shoes, etc., but I still find some way to deem them acceptable. What is this new possession you ask? A Moleskine notebook. …sigh.

Now Moleskines have been used by nearly everyone; from famous artists and authors to the resident hipster in your local coffee shop. Why would I resist such an item? I suppose it’s due to the notebook’s ubiquitous nature, the general snobbery exhibited by their owners, and the higher price-point all led to my general distaste.

Now I suppose you might be wondering what has changed my mind. Those who know me well can avow for my constant forgetfulness. No one will be more outspoken regarding the character trait than my fiancé. After several instances of forgetting serious dates and errands, she has prodded me into Moleskine ownership. … And I couldn’t be happier.

Since this was my first entry into everyday notebook use, I chose the Cahier Journals which come in a 3-pack. As described by their website, the note book is, “A journal for all occasions, to keep notes, to fire thoughts. Soft, light, fits in every pocket… These journals have a heavy-duty cardboard cover with visible stitching on the spine.” I have to say that I am quite impressed. It fits perfectly in my pocket and has already helped to improve my memory. I’m even able to jot little notes down as the inspiration hits me.

To accompany this notebook, I needed to choose a writing instrument that I could be confident enough would not ruin my pants due to leaking ink. Rather than using a pen, I opted for a mechanical pencil. After some help at the local office supply store, I was introduced to the Caran d’Ache mechanical pencils. It’s nothing overly fancy, just a study mechanical pencil.



I have to say, after all the resistance, I am quite glad to be just another Moleskine carrier. To be honest, I’m looking forward to obtaining a more substantial notebook. Perhaps one of the Moleskine Passions for Music… or Movies… or Books…

1 comment:

  1. Might I suggest you consider these before your next purchase:
    http://fieldnotesbrand.com/

    ReplyDelete