Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Thrifting Finds: 3/9/10

The life of a thrifter isn't always fun and exciting. For every Ralph Lauren Purple Label shirt you may find, there are thousands of polos from Aeropostale, shirts by Stafford, Sportcoats by Chaps, and the list could go on. After sifting through the dregs for approximately an hour per store, multiple stores per week, and coming with little if anything to take home, it can get down right depressing. This is the position I found myself last weekend.

After my last several thrifting ventures turned up next to nothing, I began questioning why I even participate in the activity. Maybe the musty thrift store smell had taken an effect on my mood, who knows. But it's times like these when we must lift our heads higher and press on. Would Giuseppe give up? No! And this is why I made my last ditch effort to peruse the outerwear rack before leaving my final thrift store last Sunday.

And what did I find? Why, the exact jacket I've been fawning over recently. A tan colored Harrington! This may not be a Baracuta, and it may not have a red tartan lining, but it's exactly what I need for these windy days on the Island. It's perfect!


I'm not usually the kind of guy who's into logos on the chest (I detest that little polo guy), but a truly vintage Lacoste gator is certainly tolerable. It adds to the 80's vibe of the jacket. And check out those colors in the lining. I promise they're more subdued in person, but they are perfect for Spring.


The back of the jacket is actually open in the back, not sewn shut. A nice detail that isn't found on some Baracuta imitations.


And apparently this is made buy Izod-Lacoste, not Lacoste proper. According to the Wikipedia entry, the owner of Izod bought the rights to market Lacoste in 1953. This move introduced Americans to the tiny little gator matched with brightly colored polo shirts. After the upswing and inevitable decline of preppy fashion in the 80s, the brands were split in the early 90s. Lacoste returned to making luxury items and Izod began making the low to mid-range clothing we know today.

If anyone knows the true vintage of this jacket, please let me know.

And thus, my faith in thrifting is renewed. It just goes to show, you can't let a few bad trips spoil your fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment